Re: s6-rc design ; comparison with anopa

From: Laurent Bercot <ska-skaware_at_skarnet.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 18:48:35 +0200

On 23/04/2015 18:39, Dreamcat4 wrote:
> OK. But what about the situation when you are running a live compiled
> (running) system. You want to install a new pkg containing a service (or a
> bundle). And start that service without having to reboot the whole computer?
>
> Can it compile just the extra bit needed, and add that during runtime,
> without having to recompile everything from scratch (until the next reboot)?

  I think another full compilation would be necessary, because
incremental compilations are hard in the current state. It shouldn't be much
of a problem though: even a full compilation should be quick enough.
Probably O(n log n), which is fine for 1000ish atoms. If it's really too
slow, I'll think about incremental compilation, but I don't want to
prematurely optimize.

  Adding the extra service without restarting everything is the point of
s6-rc-update, which I would like to get more ideas on.

--
  Laurent