Re: s6-rc - odd warn logging and a best practices question

From: Colin Booth <cathexis_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 22:01:08 -0700

On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 1:16 PM, Colin Booth <cathexis_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> By the way, I've found a maybe-bug that, if real, is pretty severe.
> `s6-rc -d change all ; some stuff ; s6-rc -u change all' has caused my
> s6-init + s6-rc testbed system to remove the control pipe for my pid 1
> s6-svscan. I need to make sure it wasn't something I did between
> things, and to make sure it wasn't mucked up handling in various
> scripts that I was running. I'm at work right now so I can't test it
> out, but sometime in the next day or so I should have the cycles to
> test it out.

Not a bug in s6-rc or s6 but in some Debian script somewhere. Some
single-user script appears to re-mount all mount points, which has the
net result of causing all file handles into tmpfs mounts to go stale.
That's what's breaking s6-svscan. Once I isolate it, I'll see if I can
avoid calling that script, and if I have to I'll see about moving its
execution somewhere safe.

I am learning way more about the complexities of the distro boot cycle
than I'd ever expected to this week.

Cheers!

--
"If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to
man as it is, infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees