Re: [announce] s6-rc: a s6-based service manager for Unix systems

From: Colin Booth <cathexis_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2015 08:50:53 -0700

On Sep 24, 2015 9:20 AM, "Colin Booth" <cathexis_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Here are the few issues that I've noticed so far:
> * Acpi pm-suspend issue...
Solved. It turns out that the power button scripts are run by acpid and
acpid's path wasn't searching /usr/sbin. Fixed in the ./run script

> * mountall.sh shutdown...
Solved in a hacky way. mountall.sh tests for a fifo named /run/initctl, so
I create one in the ./up script and remove it after mountall.sh runs.
Pretty? No. Functional? Yes. It (annoyingly) didn't solve the /run
permissions issue, so I need to keep digging on that.

> * bootclean.sh paving /run if run a second time
Solved by having the bootmisc ./down file re-seed .clean and .tmpfs files.
They should be harmless since bootmisc.sh removes them as part of the
system bootstrap.

> * The above mentioned issue where `/etc/init.d/udev' script isn't
> suitable as a oneshot (it starts a daemon) but also isn't suitable as
> a direct translation into a longrun since it does a pile of work after
> udev is up. I'm sure that a longrun or a longrun+follow-on oneshot can
> be written to do this right, I haven't had time to do it.

Still an open question on correct ordering. I want to do this:
1) udev longrun
2) udev support oneshot

But I also don't want to maintain a patch set for init.d/udev to remove the
start call to udev itself since udev is perfectly happy to have multiples
running. So currently I'm sticking with the (not terribly pretty):
1) udev-init oneshot
  a) init.d/udev start
  b) udevadm control --exit (could be replaced with init.d/udev stop)
2) udev longrun

Functional but not at all elegant.

Pardon the overlong lines, sent from my phone due to a lack of real
internet in my house.

Cheers!

--
"If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to
man as it is, infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees