Re: s6-ftrig-wait is not relocatable

From: Buck Evan <buck_at_yelp.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 15:56:49 -0700

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 10:39 AM, Laurent Bercot <ska-skaware_at_skarnet.org>
wrote:

> On 14/10/2015 18:47, Buck Evan wrote:
>
>> I have a pretty extensive test suite for my system that's built atop s6,
>> and the only part that explodes is the access of leapseconds.dat
>>

> What about access to libexec binaries such as s6lockd-helper or
> s6-rc-oneshot-run?

Yes, I see that s6lockd-helper is in libexec; it won't be found.
I don't see s6-rc-oneshot-run. I assume that's in the separate s6rc
project, which I haven't installed.

Run-time prefixing is manageable with dynamic libraries, with PATH,

with specifically designed runtimes such as Python, but it's just not
> doable in the general case ...

In my bash scripts, which do need to be runtime-relocatable, since they're
designed to be run directly from a git checkout, I always have something
akin to:

HERE=$(dirname $(readlink -f $0))
config=$HERE/../etc/leapseconds.dat

Certainly readlink -f isn't a cheap operation, but dirname is a simple
string manipulation.
This does seem to work in the general case, and I feel sure I could come up
with something that's both quite efficient and correct in the edge cases if
I spent some time on the problem.

> ... it seems to me you're trying to cram a
> square peg into a round hole here.

Oh, definitely. But it's *so close* to fitting!