Re: Debianization

From: Didier Kryn <didier.kryn_at_free.fr>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2018 22:19:39 +0200

Le 21/04/2018 à 18:19, Guillaume Perréal a écrit :
> Le 21/04/2018 à 12:28, Didier Kryn a écrit :
>>     May I humbly ask why you don't start with Devuan (which is Debian
>> stripped out of systemd)? Of course it is less challenging than doing
>> the job on Debian, but it would be wholehartedly applauded and tested
>> by the Devuan community, while you shouldn't expect much recognition
>> from Debian.
>>
>>             Didier
> I have tried to boot an Alpine Linux with s6-init and the set of of
> the services I wanted and it is quite a lot a work. I think writing a
> full replacement with shims and "translators" is an order of magnitude
> higher.
>
> Guillaume.

     <off-topic>I'm a follower of musl and a supporter of static
linking. I started to build my own musl-based Linux before Alpine was
available and eventually achieved to build a functional native
development platform. But it is too much work and I plan to try Alpine
pretty soon :-)</off-topic>

     Whether starting from Alpine or Devuan, at least you don't have to
fight against Systemd which has put metastases pretty much everywhere in
the system. You start from sysvinit and just replace the rc scripts even
with keeping sysv's init proper, at the beginning. A big part of the
work is packaging and transitionning flawlessly from one system to the
other when installing/removing the packages.

         Didier