Re: On lh-bootstrap and mkroot

From: Casper Ti. Vector <caspervector_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2018 09:42:27 +0800

On Mon, Sep 03, 2018 at 08:47:32PM +0000, Laurent Bercot wrote:
> I have asked landley before whether he shared my interests for weird
> things such as using less resources than the shell, or supervision
> systems. His answer was a resounding and unambiguous "no". His interests
> are focused on making a GPL-free platform suitable for systems such
> as j2 and Android, and he cares more about porting the existing flawed
> tools that people know than about rewriting the world in a better way.
> Which is totally fair.
>
> Let him do what he wants to do, let me do what I want to do, and pick
> your favorite parts. This will work a lot better for everyone. :)

Many thanks for the clear explanation. It should be quite obvious now
that my goal, when choosing the toolsets, is somewhere between the goals
of you two people. (Another goal of mine, which is one of a much longer
term, is the reconciliation of Lisp and Unix [1]: "interfaces should be
questioned right down to the libc", and IMO also to the language itself;
ultimately, this would probably result in further minimisation in total
complexity of the system.)

[1] <https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8257752.html#8257752>.

--
My current OpenPGP key:
RSA4096/0x227E8CAAB7AA186C (expires: 2020.10.19)