Re: User level service

From: Joan Picanyol i Puig <lists-supervision_at_biaix.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 23:33:18 +0200

* Alex Efros <powerman_at_powerman.name> [20130911 23:22]:
> On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 07:42:35PM +0200, Joan Picanyol i Puig wrote:
> > What setup are you refering to? In my setup there's a root-run svscan of
> > a dir hosting symlinks to user's service directories, which are
> > svscan'ed with their own uids. This way, users can add & remove services
> > without root's intervention; what else would you offer them?
>
> Nothing actually, just ability to add/remove any amount of directories
> with services for each user. Can you please show ./run file for your
> service?

Pretty simple actually:

#!/command/execline
fdmove -c 2 1
statfile -ug ./service setstate -ug svscan ./service

Obviously the directory must be owned by the user.

> Anyway, cron-based solution works ok on servers where you don't have root
> access (usually such servers don't have runit either, so you need to
> compile it in your home dir first).

Of course, sometimes that's the only way. In these scenarios I worry
about testing whether a reaped supervisor can supervise its
predecessor's services.

qvb
--
pica