ulimit with openbsd problem

From: Mike Jackson <mj_at_netauth.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 14:05:29 +0300

Hi,

I've replaced /sbin/init with runit's init, and starting every other
service (ssh, getty, etc) with runsv.

Following instructions on this page to raise open file limit to 4096:

https://code.google.com/p/go-wiki/wiki/OpenBSD

The result has actually decreased nofiles from the default of 128 to 64:

ulimit -a
time(cpu-seconds) unlimited
file(blocks) unlimited
coredump(blocks) unlimited
data(kbytes) 8388608
stack(kbytes) 8192
lockedmem(kbytes) 1012212
memory(kbytes) 3032028
nofiles(descriptors) 64
processes 1310

# sysctl kern.maxfiles
kern.maxfiles=12328

Any advice as how to actually raise the limit? Of course running
ulimit -n 4096 as root at the command line works, so I am guessing the
reason it's not taking effect with login is runit related...

Thanks,
Mike