Re: The udev question & understanding what runsvdir "means"

From: Avery Payne <avery.p.payne_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 22:37:57 -0700

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 7:54 PM, Alex Efros <powerman_at_powerman.name> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 11:28:08AM -0700, Avery Payne wrote:
> > First, socklog-*, syslog, acpid, smartd, are all "outward" services in my
> > definition, because something or someone, somewhere, can call upon them
> > (send input), or consume their service (receive output). udevd is
> special,
> > true, but to my knowledge, only the kernel really toys with it (or at
> least
> > in theory). It wasn't *meant* to send input or output elsewhere, even
> > though it *can*.
>
> Hm. socklog-klog, mcelog works exactly how you explain - they take input
> only from kernel and do their work without interacting with other
> services, and no other users or services interact with them. Probably we
> can also put acpid and smartd under same description. So, what's the real
> difference between them and udev?

In that case, they would be in the same "runsvdir context" as udev, true.

> > Runit really, really needs a pause(1) command to assist with this.
>
> Is `kill -STOP $$` at end of ./run won't be enough? Why do you need
> pause(1)?

It never occurred to me to have the script/shell signal itself. I'll give
it a spin when I have some time to place it in a script. Thanks!

In fact, if that works as planned, I'll incorporate it into the project.
It's up now at https://bitbucket.org/avery_payne/runit-scripts, but I will
warn you, (a) this is my "first project" so the commits are not exactly
clean, (b) it's still rather raw and unpolished, (c) I have a lot of work
ahead of me.