Re: runit problem with sv check? Or misreading the manual page?

From: Avery Payne <avery.p.payne_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2015 12:29:17 -0800

On Sat, Jan 3, 2015 at 4:05 AM, Luke Diamand <luke_at_diamand.org> wrote:

> I'm trying to write a ./run file for autofs which will wait for ypbind to
> come up before starting autofs.
>
> I've got a line in autofs/run that says:
>
> sv check ypbind
>
> and then a ./check script inside the ypbind directory which runs ypwhich.
>

>From http://smarden.org/runit/sv.8.html we get this snippet: "If the
requested state of the service is *up*, and the script *./check* exists in
the service directory, *sv* runs this script to check whether the service
is up and running; it’s considered to be up if *./check* exits with 0."

So you need a "sv start ypbind" before you can "sv check ypbind".

Does your check script look like this?

timeout 1 ypwhich

The manpage for ypwhich says that the command returns a name, which implies
a string inside of a shell.

Try this:

SERVERNAME=$(ypwhich)
test -n $SERVERNAME && exit 0
exit 1

...or something like that. I am working under the assumption that ypwhich
returns a blank string if there is no server.