Re: Logging daemon with ISO8601 filenames

From: Avery Payne <avery.p.payne_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2015 14:14:04 -0800

On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 1:22 PM, Paul Jarc <prj_at_case.edu> wrote:

> Laurent Bercot <ska-supervision_at_skarnet.org> wrote:
> > Can't you run a simple filter like tai64nlocal or s6-tai64nlocal when
> > you need to read the logs ?
>
> I think Caleb is talking about the filenames, not the timestamps
> within the log contents.

As a programmer, I get why the files are named the way they are. TAI64 is
very programmer-centric and was meant to be post-processed into something
human-readable "at some other time".

As a sysadmin, if I'm in a hurry to resolve a problem, the last thing I
want to do is try to figure out which file out of 10 is the correct one to
search. So I get the need to have human-readable filenames.

Alternatively, if I'm lazy,

ls -l /var/log/(someservice)

...would be enough - the datestamp of the file would be a good indication.
Or, alternatively,

grep 'mypattern' /var/log/(someservice)/_at_*

...would work too, but I don't know the circumstances involved - perhaps
running a grep is prohibitive in the environment that this will be used in.

> This is hackish, but you could set a processor like this:

Any chance you would be willing to part with that code? Currently you are,
in my country, a defacto copyright holder until you release your interest
in it (i.e. it is public domain) or you license it in such a way that I can
incorporate it (i.e. ISC/BSD 3-Clause/MIT/LGPL/MPL2.0, etc.) I am
currently collecting scripts for supervision frameworks and this would be a
useful "feature" to add to svlogd support.