Re: first round of optional dependency support

From: Avery Payne <avery.p.payne_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 21:44:11 -0800

Depends on what you call fail-safe.

If you mean "will only run a service if all dependencies met", then yes.
The current mode is to log the dependency failure and exit the script. The
service will of course run-loop until fixed; this isn't far from the
current non-dependency behavior anyways. The emitted warnings in the log
should be descriptive enough to diagnose the problem and remedy it.

If you mean "attempt run regardless of dependencies", then no. In my eyes,
that would be a ./wants directory, and I debated doing that as well. I
figured, ./wants is a variant of ./needs, so I should get ./needs right
first. Once I know ./needs is stable, I can adapt it, removing a lot of
the failure code, and it turns into ./wants, i.e. "attempt to start the
dependency, but if it doesn't start, don't worry about it, keep going"