Re: staggering runsv startup

From: Jonathan de Boyne Pollard <J.deBoynePollard-newsgroups_at_NTLWorld.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2015 00:11:57 +0100

James Powell:
> If runit had the ability to order processes like OpenRC where you have:
>
> before=
> after=
>
> setups, you could order the entire tree structure.

As I might have mentioned before, people have been saying that one could
do that for years; nosh is the existence proof that it can be done, and
has been for some time. Service bundles have before/ and after/
directories encoding ordering. See the manual page for the
service-control program, and the Nosh Guide, for more. Turn on the
--verbose option to the "systemctl start" command to see it in action.
Read the /run/system-manager/log/ log on a nosh-system-manager-managed
system to see how "system-control start --verbose normal" has brought up
your system.

I don't have to write in the subjunctive about this sort of thing. (-: