Re: dependant services

From: Steve Litt <slitt_at_troubleshooters.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2015 19:38:01 -0400

On Tue, 09 Jun 2015 00:17:49 +0200
Laurent Bercot <ska-supervision_at_skarnet.org> wrote:

> On 08/06/2015 22:40, Jonathan de Boyne Pollard wrote:
> > As to whether opening server sockets early is a good idea: I'm not

[snip]

> That's an interesting way of seeing it, and it certainly puts things
> into perspective; but I don't think it's accurate.
>
> Not every service can be run under a generic superserver. The ones
> that can have one thing in common:

I'd never heard of "superserver" before, so it's likely others hadn't
either. See this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super-server

Which links to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inetd

and this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ucspi-tcp

It also links to the init system that shall not be mentioned, but
that's of little interest.

Thanks! Now I know something I didn't know yesterday. Some day soon
I'll try out ucspi-tcp.

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2015 featured book: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key