Re: Shutdown/reboot script order?

From: post-sysv <boycottsystemd_at_openmailbox.org>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2015 13:19:43 -0400

This is indeed the generally correct order, though I think it's a bit
too primitive for real-world shutdown on more dynamic systems,
particularly desktops. It's good practice to touch /etc/nologin or
/run/nologin, sync the dirty buffers to disk, turn off swap, detach
loopback and volumes (DeviceMapper, etc.) and so on.

A theoretically advantegeous thing that systemd does (Linux-specific,
obviously) is to exec() itself into a separate shutdown loop process
that finishes by handing back control to the initramfs, so that rootfs
can actually be unmounted. I hear this was recently merged into logind
directly, which doesn't leave a good taste in my mouth. Just how
essential this also is can debated.

Still, this is useful enough for simpler, more static systems. OpenWrt's
procd has a hardcoded shutdown sequence that isn't much more complicated
than your four lines.