Re: A general sequence of events for init

From: Avery Payne <avery.p.payne_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 21:28:58 -0700

On 6/22/2015 6:42 PM, post-sysv wrote:
> Handling stages 1 and 3 may need some additions to conditional logic,
> however.
The idea would be that different plugins would represent some abstract
notion at some stage in the boot process, i.e. "mount the root
filesystem" would be abstracted away to a script that was
correct/specific for the platform it was on, and the init would simply
"call" the program/script/symlink at a pre-arranged location. No
conditional logic needed, just point to the right plugins. :)

> Introducing shared objects in this would be overkill though, unless
> you're using the word "plugin" to mean a script using a common interface.

Yes, plugin in this context is an externally callable script or program
of some kind, called by the init in the correct ordering/sequence. A
control script or program would do the coordination and "call" each
"plugin".

You said there are others with a similar approach, I guess I need to do
some additional homework.