Re: [ale] systemd talk from July has slide deck online now

From: post-sysv <boycottsystemd_at_openmailbox.org>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2015 12:57:13 -0400

On 09/09/2015 12:45 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
> Several of those inits required services to be configured in XML.
>
> Tell me one more time just so I understand: Why would *anybody*
> configure their services with XML, thereby requiring the init system to
> have a built in XML parser? XML parser in PID1, what could possibly go
> wrong?
>
> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt
> August 2015 featured book: Troubleshooting: Just the Facts
> http://www.troubleshooters.com/tjust

Why would you need an XML parser in PID1? You could parse XML in a
separate process and send off the results to a socket in either the
service manager for PID1 for processing control commands.

This is, in fact, how launchd does it (XML parsing is in launchctl).
Probably the *only* thing launchd got right.