Re: Combining logs in daemontools-like frameworks?

From: Jan Bramkamp <crest_at_rlwinm.de>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2015 16:06:15 +0100

On 09/11/15 15:33, Casper Ti. Vector wrote:
> Suppose there are several services, and I want their log (complete or
> only those fulfilling certain conditions) to be combined, for example in
> the following scenarios:
>
> * Those services are low-volumed (eg. getty's).
> * Some important part of these logs are combined to allow a sysadmin to
> have a quick impression of alerts (eg. security-related messages from
> SSH and VPN).
>
> I understand that daemontools-like frameworks do hard to separate logs
> from different services, but I think it is sometimes more pragmatic to
> allow controlled mixing of logs. So, is there a neat way to do this,
> without using `logger -t $servname' and a syslogd?

There are is more than one way to achieve that goal. I prefer to keep
the separate log dirs and combine the filtered results. My preferred
solution is to redirect the tagged output of the per service logging
services into a combined log through a named pipe to build a logging
forest of loggers connected by (named) pipes. This works but is fragile
because some process could delete the named pipe. If you're running
s6-rc you can use it to setup the pipes without (ab-)using the
filesystem as a namespace to store your pipes.