Re: [announce] buildroot-s6 0.2.0

From: Eric Le Bihan <eric.le.bihan.dev_at_free.fr>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 09:54:16 +0100 (CET)

Hi!

> > Comments welcomed!
>
> depends on BR2_TOOLCHAIN_USES_GLIBC || BR2_TOOLCHAIN_USES_MUSL looks
> really
> strange, uClibc is typically the least problematic libc.

Buildroot now uses uclibc-ng by default, though it is still possible
to use the old 0.99.3 version (and its truck load of pacthes).

In the buildroot-s6 repository, Buildroot is added as a git subtree and
the current version is 2015.08, which features uclibc-ng 1.05. The next
Buildroot version (2015.1) will feature uclibc-ng 1.06, though the latest
upstream version is 1.08. I'll try this one.

> > buildroot-s6 is a sandbox to play with the s6 stack and see how it
> > could be
> > integrated into the official Buildroot. It is still a
> > work-in-progress.
>
> The worst part will be dealing with per-package service files.
> I did try doing similar thing. Ended up with all my stuff in
> BR2_EXTERNAL,
> this way it's much easier to keep Buildroot proper up to date.

Indeed! With s6-linux-init-skeleton, I only intend to provide the basic
skeleton (as buildroot/package/init-scripts does for Busybox /sbin/init)
to have a working device.

In Buildroot, there are currently:

- 93 SysV-like init scripts
- 41 systemd service files

I do not think providing the associated s6-rc service definitions in
Buildroot would be a good thing. But maybe fetching them from a
repository or generating them from systemd service files would do the
trick.

--
ELB