Re: How to compile nosh?

From: Guillermo <gdiazhartusch_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 21:23:51 -0300

Hi,

> Nosh only has binaries compiled for 64 bit and my linode is sadly
> still 32 bit. So I'm trying to build nosh for 32 bit, but I'm running
> into trouble.

I haven't tried 1.24 yet, but I have built previous versions of nosh
on a (coincidentally) 32-bit Gentoo virtual machine. What I haven't
done yet is trying to actually boot the machine with nosh (i.e. using
system-manager as process 1), but that's a whole different business.
So to answer your question, if you feel like trying again:

> First off, there's no README or anything, so I sorta have to guess.

The nosh and redo source packages don't provide a README file, but
there are installation instructions in the Web pages from which you
download them. You missed them perhaps?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jonathan.deboynepollard/Softwares/redo.html
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jonathan.deboynepollard/Softwares/nosh/source-package.html

(starting from the "the things that you need to know here are" part)

But to summarize: make sure you have the required dependencies, unpack
the compressed tarball in an empty directory, cd to that directory,
run the package/compile script to build the software, and run the
package/export script to install it to the system directories.
However, I would advise you to read the latter before using it, to be
sure you like what it does. If you are familiar with GNU's build
system, you'll notice there is no equivalent to a "run ./configure
with suitable arguments" step. The package/export script accepts a
couple of arguments, but that's it.

> I tried running source/all.do [...]

That script is executed (with arguments) by the redo* utilities, which
are called by the package/make script, which is called by the
package/compile script. It's not meant to be called directly.

> I tried building redo, but running source/compile, [...]

You need to run package/compile, not source/compile. The latter is an
internal tool of the build system.

> [...] but then got errors about no ./cxx or ./cxxflags. I made
> ./cxx a symlink to g++ but I have no idea what to put in cxxflags.

Those are generated by the build system. Namely, by the package/tools
script, which is called by the package/prepare script, which is called
by the package/compile script.

> (more than one top level subdir in the tarball.)

Yeah, I dont't know what's the reason for that. That is why you have
to unpack it in an empty directory.

Hope that helps,
G.