Re: [announce] buildroot-s6 0.4.0

From: Alex Suykov <alex.suykov_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2016 01:14:57 +0200

Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 01:16:05PM +0100, Laurent Bercot wrote:

> And so, daemon packages need to be separated into "mechanism" (the
> daemon itself) and "policy" (the way to start it), with as many
> "policy" packages as there are supported service managers.

This got me thinking of possible implementations.

I don't like the idea of introducing dozens of tiny packages,
one per daemons per service manager, which is probably the only way
of doing this with common package managers.

But in this particular case there is an alternative: one policy package
per manager providing startup files for all supported daemons.

> I plan to do this work for Alpine Linux towards the end of this year;
> I think most of it will be reusable for other distributions, including
> Buildroot.

Buildroot is very unusual in that each package gets to see the whole
system configuration at build time. This (mis)feature makes it really
easy to implement the policy package.

https://github.com/arsv/sninit/commit/879b6bf2f17b8b68bddcdb15344f3d3741c07cd2
https://github.com/arsv/sninit/tree/master/misc/service

I did it with sninit because I have startup files there already,
but the same can be done with buildroot-s6 just as well.

This trick probably won't work with proper distributions, but Buildroot
may still be useful as a sort of staging and testing environment.