Re: What's the difference between s6 and s6-rc?

From: Laurent Bercot <ska-supervision_at_skarnet.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 16:02:11 +0100

On 25/02/2016 15:47, Steve Litt wrote:
> Could somebody, in one or two sentences, tell me the difference between
> s6 vs s6-init?
> I'm not looking for references to big old documents: I'm looking for
> one or two sentences telling me the difference.

  Still, big old documents have all the information you need, and more:
the first lines of http://skarnet.org/software/s6-rc/why.html would
answer your question.

  s6 is a process supervisor. It manages daemons.
  s6-rc is a service manager. It manages the global state of a machine:
what service is up, what service is down, with dependencies between
services, and "services" being implemented by either a daemon or a
one-shot script.

  s6-rc is a management layer running *on top of* s6. It uses the s6
infrastructure to do its job, but this job is not the same at all.

--
  Laurent