Re: GNU Emacs now runs in foreground

From: Steve Litt <slitt_at_troubleshooters.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2016 10:44:11 -0500

On Tue, 6 Dec 2016 12:15:49 +0000
Jonathan de Boyne Pollard <J.deBoynePollard-newsgroups_at_NTLWorld.com>
wrote:

> Martin "eto" Misuth:
> > First, there are two major caveats,
>
> There are actually three. They break scripting. For example: People
> cannot use the GNOME Editor as $VISUAL or $EDITOR because one of the
> things implicit in the $EDITOR/$VISUAL mechanism is that when the
> program that has been invoked exits, the editing is over and the file
> being edited has been saved in the desired form. That is not the
> behaviour of the "small and lightweight" GNOME Editor, however.

I think I can live without GNOME, so for me this is no problem at all. I
think a lot of people on this list can live without GNOME.

> * http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/201900/
>
> * http://unix.stackexchange.com/a/323700/5132
>
> * https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13056252
>
> Other "interesting" problems result from the move that the Desktop
> Bus and the Desktop Environment people are making away from
> per-session instances of the D-BUS daemon to per-user instances of
> the same. This causes fun with deciding what the daemon's $DISPLAY
> should be set to. A per-session Desktop Bus obviously has one
> $DISPLAY by and large. But a per-user Desktop Bus not only has to
> handle multiple logins from a single user, it has to handle that the
> per-user session management can be running when there's no X server
> at all.

Dbus isn't part of my world, and when software tries to make dbus part
of my world, I tend to ditch that software. Dbus is a traffic circle
allowing everything to talk to everything else, addressing allowing.
It's a system-wide global variable on steroids.

> (systemd starts its per-user instances via PAM hooks that
> act upon every login, including logins over SSH and on terminals.)

If dbus isn't part of my world, then it's safe to say systemd isn't
part of my universe. If systemd were relevant to my life, I'd still be
on the Debian-User mailing list, not on this list. I don't
think I'm alone on this.

> Even though some daemons try to take the approach that the daemon
> supports multiple $DISPLAYs, sent in from multiple clients as part of
> the client session, one unfortunately finds that the daemons
> themselves still have to have an arbitrary $DISPLAY in order to start
> up in their initial, not connected to any clients and their displays
> yet, mode. In practice, thus, the implementation of the user-wide
> client-server idea is half-hearted and flawed in this respect.

Well, maybe. But I'm going to try it.

To me, Linux is and should remain a DIY accessible OS, and that
requires shunning all things FreeDesktop.Org.

SteveT

Steve Litt
November 2016 featured book: Quit Joblessness: Start Your Own Business
http://www.troubleshooters.com/startbiz