Re: register runsvdir as subreaper

From: John Regan <john_at_jrjrtech.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2017 08:52:02 -0600

On 01/30/2017 11:38 AM, Mitar wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I would like to ask if runsvdir could by default be defined as a
> subreaper on Linux. If it is already a PID 1, then there is no
> difference, but sometimes it is not. In that case when an orphan
> process happens under it, then it would be re-parented under the
> runsvdir, mimicking the behavior when runsvdir runs as a PID 1.
>
> runit is often used in Docker containers and sometimes you have a
> wrapper script which spawns runsvdir as a child. In that case runsvdir
> does not run as PID 1.
>
> I have found a similar patch for Debian, but which requested this
> feature on runsv. I think that might be misused for making process who
> demonize in fact stay under runsv. Or maybe that is a future feature
> of runit, not sure, but that can be discussion for some other thread.
> I would like to ask that something similar to that patch is done for
> runsvdir for now:

> This would really make it easier to use runit inside Docker.
>
> A bit more about subreapers here:
>
> https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/250153/what-is-a-subreaper-process
>

> Mitar

If you're looking to supervise processes inside containers, I'd
recommend checking out s6-overlay[1] - it's s6 + a collection of
scripts, meant to be used within containers for any Linux distro. It
handles reaping processes, logging, log rotation - it's a swiss army
knife. Full disclosure, I'm a member of the project :)

[1]: https://github.com/just-containers/s6-overlay