Re: A dumb question

From: Avery Payne <avery.p.payne_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2017 13:29:13 -0700

On 5/1/2017 2:11 PM, Francisco Gómez wrote:
> And during the process, someone recently told me
> something like this.
>
> "It's old software. Its last version is from 2014. If I have to
> choose between a dynamic, bug-filled init like Systemd and a barely
> maintained init like Runit, I'd rather use Systemd."
>
> That sounds bad, doesn't it?

No, it doesn't sound bad at all, but the person you talked with does
sound mis-informed.

To quote an (in)famous but well-meaning internet troll, "Functionality
is an asset, but code is a liability."

Runit is simple enough, and small enough, that it does not require a VCS
to maintain it. The same goes for s6, and many other supervision suites.

Now contrast those with systemd: just how big is systemd, including all
of its pieces? How many people are needed to maintain it?

Ponder those three sentences, together, for a little while.