Re: s6 as a systemd alternative

From: Guillermo <gdiazhartusch_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2017 22:31:12 -0300

> On Mon, 26 Jun 2017 14:53:50 +0000 "Laurent Bercot" wrote:
>>
>> The problem with the runit model is that it is pure supervision -
>> it does not provide service management. You have to run all your
>> oneshots _before_ you can start longruns.
>
> Not necessarily true. You can easily run longruns early by creating a
> second service directory and a second link directory. You make the
> service specific directory, create run script and the supervise
> directory within it, and symlink like the following:
>
> ln -s /etc/sv2/gnumeric /var/svlink/gnumeric
>
> Then do the following:
>
> runsv /etc/svlink/gnumeric

But then you end up with an unsupervised runsv process, disconnected
from the rest of the supervision tree...

However, regarding Void Linux and udevd, as far as I can tell by
having a quick look at their GitHub repository, it is launched
unsupervised from /etc/runit/1 just to populate /dev, but then that
process is stopped using 'udevadm control --exit', and a supervised
one is launched. Probably the best possible solution if constrained by
the runit model...

G.