djbwares version 6

From: Jonathan de Boyne Pollard <J.deBoynePollard-newsgroups_at_NTLWorld.COM>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2017 09:45:24 +0100

djbwares is now at version 6.

* http://jdebp.eu./Softwares/djbwares/
* http://jdebp.info./Softwares/djbwares/

The main changes here are in dnscache and ftpd.

dnscache now has a built-in AAAA resource record for localhost, like it
already had a built-in A resource record. I've slightly improved the
way that it caches AAAA resource record sets, to match the way that it
was handling A resource record sets. And it now caches SOA resource
records. There are also some minor improvements to the logging to
decode SRV, A, and AAAA records rather than print them in raw
hexadecimal format.

The changes to ftpd were motivated by my pointing several WWW browsers
at a publicfile FTP site and discovering that the WWW browsers adhere to
the RFCs far less than they used to at the turn of the century. You can
read some of the saddening discoveries in the Hall of Shame. I have
enhanced publicfile ftpd to support OPTS, FEAT, SIZE, EPSV, and HOST; to
interoperate better with some faulty FTP ALGs that cannot cope with an
FTP server that one does not need to log in to; to interoperate better
with some faulty WWW browsers that misuse CWD as a type testing
mechanism; and to log things more clearly in order to diagnose such
faults from server logs. HOST support means that ftpd supports virtual
hosting on FTP, which is explained in the manual, although it is hard to
find any FTP client that employs this.

* http://jdebp.eu./FGA/web-browser-ftp-hall-of-shame.html
* http://jdebp.info./FGA/web-browser-ftp-hall-of-shame.html

A further minor addition is a host command, a subset of the host
commands from ISC and from KnotDNS that uses the same DNS client library
from djbdns as all of the other djbdns query tools do. Of course, the
conventional djbdns client tools have a simpler syntax and more regular
behaviours than the host command, and are preferable. Moreover, the
subset excludes rarities that djbdns has never supported, such as non-IN
class queries.