Re: has anyone gotten nosh to build on Void Linux?

From: Jonathan de Boyne Pollard <J.deBoynePollard-newsgroups_at_NTLWorld.COM>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2018 13:48:27 +0100

Guillermo:

> *
>
> There is a |curses.h| file in both Void's 'standard' headers
> directory and in a subdirectory named '|ncursesw|' (for the narrow
> character and wide character versions of the library,
> respectively). Normally, that would be |/usr/include/curses.h| and
> |/usr/include/ncursesw/curses.h|.

On that score: Those of you who have peeked at 1.38 will possibly have
noticed the manual for the new |console-termio-realizer| command, which
has a section explaining how it realizes onto terminals. I have some
things that I am mulling over.

  *

    The |chkservice| command (also new, and which you might also have
    spotted) uses wide character ncurses. I am wondering whether it
    should employ |console-termio-realizer|'s mechanism instead.

  * The |monitor-fsck-progress| command uses wide character ncurses, but
    there is no real use case for it running against a terminal that
    does not understand ECMA48 control sequences. I am wondering
    whether it should employ |console-termio-realizer|'s mechanism instead.
  *

    The only programs that do not explicitly use /wide-character/
    ncurses (and so require the additional slightly different
    development tooling) are |service-status|, and the |start|, |stop|,
    and |reset| subcommands of |system-control|. And they only employ
    it for colourization, which the ncurses and terminfo models aren't
    particularly good for in the first place. I am wondering whether
    they too should employ |console-termio-realizer|'s mechanism instead.

The general upshot would be that only |console-ncurses-realizer| ends up
using wide character ncurses. Only the one place for patches, and only
the one flavour of curses; with the tradeoffs that are given in the