Re: Can s6 be enough?: was s6-ps

From: Steve Litt <slitt_at_troubleshooters.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2019 16:45:06 -0500

On Sun, 6 Jan 2019 09:03:33 -0600
Brett Neumeier <bneumeier_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 5, 2019 at 2:30 PM Steve Litt <slitt_at_troubleshooters.com>
> wrote:
>
> > So what do you all think? Is s6 a useful init system without s6-rc?

[snip]
> - The cost of using s6-rc is negligible. As installed on my x86_64
> system with documentation, it consumes around 576 *kilobytes* of
> storage space. It compiles and installs in substantially less than a
> minute.
[snip]

> So ... costs ~= 0, benefits > 0, to me the question of whether s6 is
> useful _without_ s6-rc is kind of pointless.
>
> I'm inclined to turn the question around: what leads you to want to
> avoid s6-rc?

1) Apparently Debian doesn't yet have an s6-rc package

2) s6-rc adds more features and complexity

I don't want to avoid s6-rc. If I had s6, I'd probably use s6-rc. But I
have runit, which at a casual glance is like s6 without s6-rc, and
everything works fine for me.

When Debian acquires a properly working s6-rc package, the answer to my
question degenerates to "why not?" But for now, for the Debian person
who only installs via package, s6-rc is out of the question, so my
question was, isn't s6 itself good enough?

SteveT

Steve Litt
January 2019 featured book: Troubleshooting: Just the Facts
http://www.troubleshooters.com/tjust