Re: s6 bites noob

From: Kelly Dean <kelly_at_prtime.org>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2019 04:18:50 +0000

Thanks for the fix. Longrun works now, though oneshot still fails, this time with a different message:
s6-sudoc: fatal: connect to the s6-sudod server - check that you have appropriate permissions.

I guess that's related to my running all this (including svscan) as non-root. s6rc-oneshot-runner is running now, though.

Should I run it as root? But then you'll be able to erase a lot more than just the contents of my home dir. ;-)

I do prefer that my software recognize that I'm an idiot, and refuse to do dubious things unless I specify some --force option. I've been saved countless times by programs designed with users' mental frailty in mind, and bitten countless times by the opposite.

The doc for rc says its diff's view diverges from s6's view only when the service fails permanently. I suggest adding there that downing the service using svc instead of rc qualifies as a permanent failure from rc's point of view. I guess this also means that if rc is used, then svc isn't supposed to be part of the normal user interface.

In the docs, I see no way to ask svc whether a service is up, or ask svscanctl which services are up. But obviously rc must be able to ask, in order to do the diff. I also see no straightforward way to ask rc whether a particular service is up, other than
s6-rc -a list | grep "^servicename$"

If inotify were portable, would you still consider svscanctl -a to be the best design, or would you omit the -a option and auto-rescan when the scan directory changed?