Re: The "Unix Philosophy 2020" document

From: Oliver Schad <oliver.schad_at_automatic-server.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2019 18:41:56 +0100

On Sat, 28 Dec 2019 15:37:35 +0200
Alex Suykov <alex.suykov_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> The reason I think it's mostly useless is because the only use case
> for cgroup supervision is supervising double-forking daemons, which
> is not a very smart thing to do. A much better approach is to get rid
> of double-forking and then just directly supervise the resulting long
> running process.
> I can't think of any other cases where it would be useful.

I definitly have to correct you: cgroups are *NOT* designed to catch
wild forking processes. This is just a side-effect ot them.

The purpose is to control resource limits, like CPU, RAM, Disk I/O and
so on. So for linux it would definitly make sense to have an interface
to the full feature set.

Best Regards
Oli

--