Re: s6 xinit replacement?

From: Guillermo <gdiazhartusch_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 12:07:08 -0300

Hello, Samuel.

El sáb, 14 may 2022 a las 23:44, Samuel Holland escribió:

> X is started at boot from my user supervision tree[1], which is started by the
> user-* services in my system supervision tree[2].
>
> [1]: https://github.com/smaeul/rc-user
> [2]: https://github.com/smaeul/rc

I had a look at your s6-rc service definitions, and it seems that you
don't have one for the system-wide message bus (D-Bus) and elogind.
That, in addition to having the tmpfs whose path is stored in
XDG_RUNTIME_DIR mounted by a "user-setup_at_<your user>" system service,
makes me think that you are not running those. On the other hand, IIUC
the Xorg process is part of a supervision tree that runs with your
(unprivileged) user and is launched by service "user-services_at_<your
user>", and I suppose that Xorg is not a suid binary, so unless you do
something else, your Xorg*.log file should contain something like:

(EE) systemd-logind: failed to get session: PID <Xorg's PID> does not
belong to any known session
(EE) open /dev/dri/card0: Permission denied
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

So, what did you do? Did you also grant your user privileges for
opening the /dev/dri/card* character special files?

Thanks,
G.