Re: Question about enable-absolute-paths option

From: Shengjing Zhu <zhsj_at_debian.org>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2018 12:46:10 +0800

On Mon, Sep 3, 2018 at 5:36 AM Guillermo <gdiazhartusch_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> You don't need to do that. You *can* install the full set of execline
> binaries in /usr/lib/execline using --enable-absolute-paths, (and you
> should add --shebangdir=\$${prefix}/lib/execline too), just like in
> your OP. Both s6 and s6-rc should work fine with it.
>
> I think currently only fdmove, fdclose and execlineb are called by s6
> binaries, but you should't rely on a list of execline binaries that s6
> uses. This list can change from release to release as the author
> pleases.

Got it.

> Your setup sort of did this already. You can't easily write or use
> execline scripts with it other than those generated automatically by
> skarnet.org packages like s6-rc. It is better than packaging half or
> less of execline, or not packaging it at all, I suppose, but
> relegating execline to being some kind of s6 backend, and not being
> able to directly use it without some PATH management contortions
> greatly diminishes the usefulness of such a Debian package, I think.

The main difference is whether users get a "broken" package or can't get at all.

Maybe I could just name the package like libexecline(which has
binaries as helper programs). Then users will think they can't get an
execline pacakge.

--
Shengjing Zhu <zhsj_at_debian.org>
GPG Key: 0xCF0E265B7DFBB2F2