another distro using runit...

From: John Albietz <inthecloud247_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 10:52:05 -0700

another distro using runit:
"runit as native init system and systemd supported optionally."
http://www.voidlinux.eu
https://github.com/voidlinux/void-runit

Thanks for your hard work!

I've also made it the default init system for my Airstack base docker
container...
https://github.com/airstack/core/blob/master/docs/init_system.md
https://github.com/airstack/core/tree/master/services/runit

I've tried to condense/reduce the runit functionality into simple service
definition json file:
https://github.com/airstack/core/blob/master/services/dropbear/config.json

Would love to hear any comments you have on the json format.

Re: runit, a few things I've run into:
- I haven't found a way to lower the default wait time on init start from
the current default 1 second. Also not sure if there's a way to lower the
runsvdir service poll timer below 1 second?
- With nearly all of my services, I create enable scripts that check for,
and if necessary set up directories and perhaps even default passwords or
databases. And I haven't found an elegant way yet to integrate this into
runit. I think it would be useful to separate out a command for 'enable'
that would run successfully only once for a service. Or I guess I can
create some idempotent test that runs before each service run command. But
that doesn't seem as elegant. Unit already has a concept of a 'check' file
and a 'finish' file. What do you think about adding support for a 'enable',
'start' or 'pre' file that only gets run on service start?

- John