RE: another distro using runit...

From: James Powell <james4591_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 02:04:35 +0000

The Runit-for-LFS project actually used a lot of what was done by VoidLinux early on to craft our scriptworks for using Runit as well, before they moved to the segregated bootscripts. We stuck with the monolithic script for Stages 1 and 2.

VoidLinux had systemd at one point but removed it.

The numbers of distributions experimenting with alternatives like OpenRC, Runit, sysv+perp, and even uselessd are all growing but still slowly, but the movement is gaining headway.

I have been experimenting with using cron launched via inittab as a method to bootstrap a Slackware rc.M-like shell script to issue service checks on a regular basis while (re)launching daemons if they are down, and issuing a report log in LFS as well. It's no DJBDTS, Runit, or s6, but it's fun to learn how to use old existing tools in new ways.

-Jim