Re: Vim `.swp' files in nosh source tarballs

From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg_at_fifthhorseman.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2017 14:16:07 -0400

On Sun 2017-04-16 20:30:24 +0100, Jonathan de Boyne Pollard wrote:
> I purge the directories of these from time to time, as I have just done again.
> But they tend to very slowly accrue, for one reason or another. It's not a
> major worry. Anyway, better that the archive have everything including some
> harmless text editor temporary files than that it have one vital file missing
> because of a wildcard exclusion/deletion, which I have experienced in the past.

I recommend generating release tarballs directly from the code that is
committed to the revision control system. This provides confidence that
the released tarball contains exactly what has been kept track of in
other more detailed ways.

Also, since i'm sure you don't commit editor tmpfiles to your revision
control system, you'll never have this problem again.

if you use git, it's just something like:

    versiontag=1.2.3
    git archive --format=tar --prefix=nosh-${versiontag}/ ${versiontag} | gzip -n9 > nosh-${versiontag}.tgz

hth,

        --dkg